Thursday, February 10, 2011

My role is an attacking one - Lee


Brett Lee has said that he is looking forward to being the spearhead of the Australia attack in what will be his second, and most probably final, World Cup. Lee is the most experienced bowler in the Australia squad, and has taken 24 wickets in 21 games at an average of 31.54 in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, the co-hosts of the tournament.
"We all have our roles to play and my role is an attacking one," Lee told one of the news channel. I want to be the enforcer of the group and be the leader of the attack. I will look to offer as much knowledge to the bowling group as possible."
The Australia attack is composed mostly of bowlers who are prone to leak a few runs in their search for wickets, such as Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Tait andJason Krejza. But Lee said that an attacking approach was essential on the subcontinent despite the wickets there not being conducive to bowlers.
"It's a terrifically well balanced squad and with Krejza back in the squad it adds a lot of variation and gives us all the options. I am really confident with the bowling group. Patience and variation are crucial, but you still have got to attack even though the pitches are slow and low. There is the opportunity to reverse the ball which does not always happen here in Australia. In India, the pitches seem to scuff the ball quicker and allow the quicks to reverse the ball."
Lee used these attributes to good effect during the inaugural Champions League Twenty20 held in India in 2009, helping New South Wales to the title with eight wickets at an impressive economy rate of 3.76. "It worked well for me in the Champions League, and it's something I am keen to get right in ODIs in the sub-continent."
Austraila's recent ODI series against England was the first since October 2009 for Lee, who is coming back from a long-term elbow injury, but he showed no signs of rust, topping the charts with 11 wickets at 24. His focus has been to enjoy playing in Australia colours as he nears the end of his career. "It's a privilege to play for your country, and I am focused on loving every minute knowing it could all come to an end one day."
Having also missed out on the 2007 World Cup with a damaged ankle, Lee is keen to make up for it now in a part of the world he likes. "It was hard to watch the World Cup after my ankle injury; with my leg in a boot, it was frustrating to watch the boys play knowing I could have been part of that.
"I've played a lot of cricket in India; Tests, one-dayers, Champions League and IPL. But to play in a World Cup for Australia excites me, and it would be a huge honour to hold the Cup in the air knowing I'm in a great place like India. I have been happy with how I've bowled in the last few months and now leaving the Australian shores I'm feeling confident of a successful tournament.

1 comment:

  1. Create your PaisaLive Account & refer your friends to earn launch referral bonus on every new registration.

    http://www.PaisaLive.com/register.asp?1800722-6502407

    ReplyDelete